Townhalls featuring range of keynote speakers to help educate and engage Retirees around the 2016 General Election
The California Alliance for Retired Americans (CARA) will host fourteen Townhalls events in California throughout the month of September to educate and engage retired seniors around the 2016 General Election. Each Townhall event will feature a keynote speaker including: California Labor Federation Executive Secretary-Treasurer Art Pulaski, California State Controller Betty Yee, Congresswoman Janice Hahn, Sacramento Mayor Elect Darrell Steinberg, and many others (full list with corresponding dates and locations below). Keynote speakers will help lead the discussion on the importance of the senior vote in the upcoming election. Each event will also include a panel on the statewide ballot initiatives and candidate forums.
While CARA does not endorse, candidates for local, statewide, and national offices have been invited to each Townhall.
As a constituency, senior citizens regularly turn out to vote. These Townhalls are vital in giving retired Californians the chance to learn about issues affecting their daily lives including, the future of Medicare and Social Security, protecting retirement security and pensions from privatization, prescription drug benefits, health care, long term supports and service, safer infrastructure for pedestrians and better transportation services for seniors, affordable housing options for seniors and their families, and more.
- Sept 6 (San Rafael): Supervisor Kate Sears
- Sept. 8 (San Francisco): Senator Mark Leno
- Sept. 12 (Richmond): Assemblymember Tony Thurmond
- Sept 13th (Oakland): Art Pulaski, California Labor Federation Executive Secretary-Treasurer
- Sept. 14th (Rocklin): Will Lightbourne, Director of California Department of Social Services
- Sept. 15th (Sacramento): Mayor Elect Darrell Steinberg
- Sept. 16th (Redding): City Councilwoman Kristen Schreder
- Sept. 19th (Carson): Congresswoman Janice Hahn
- Sept. 20th (San Diego): Assemblywoman Shirley Weber
- Sept. 21st (Buena Park): Pat Gaynor
- Sept, 22nd (San Jose): Supervisor Cindy Chavez
- Sept. 24th (Bakersfield): Ray Gonzalez, City School Trustee
- Sept. 26th (Manteca): Betty Yee, California State Controller
- Sept. 27th (Fresno): Robert Roach, Alliance for Retired Americans President