Without our armed service women and men, none of us would enjoy the freedoms that we take for granted every day. In an effort to thank our Veterans for their great service to each of us and our nation as a whole, the California Labor Federation is sponsoring a day of service on Veterans Day, November 11th, and at a number of locations around the state, union members and supporters will volunteer their time to help out veterans and military families in their own communities.
Service projects include
- Repairing & cleaning the historic USS Iowa Battleship
- Clean-up, landscaping and painting at numerous American Legion and VFW Halls
- Serving and assisting at special recognition luncheons for veterans
- Making scarves and bracelets, writing letters and assembling gift packages for Operation Gratitude
- Food, shoes and socks giveaway for homeless veterans
- A “drive through lunch” where community members can buy a tasty BBQ lunch with all proceeds going to the Wounded Warrior Project
- And more!
The statewide Day of Service is inspired by the work that my union, UFCW 1428, did last year to support local vets by giving back in a number of ways – from manicures for female vets to assistance for disabled vets learning to use prosthetics with specially trained horses. The Day of Service was so successful that this year, we’ve decided to expand to more than a dozen volunteer service opportunities, and open it up to all members of the labor movement and supporters. Please visit our website for more volunteer opportunities and to learn how you can help. To add a service or volunteer opportunity to our calendar, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Day of Service is part of “Veterans and Labor – Partners in Service,” a new project sponsored by California unions that spearheads helping veterans on three fronts: providing volunteer service, opening doors to good jobs and a special Veterans Day event at the OC Fair and Event Center on Veterans Day to honor our heroes for their service.
Learn more at www.VeteransAndLabor.com.