Tell ALEC: Stay out of California!
Join thousands on July 22nd in San Diego to send a message to ALEC: We respect workers and our environment in California. You ARE NOT welcome here!
WHAT: No ALEC Zone Protest
WHEN: Wednesday, July 22nd
WHERE: 3:00 pm: Gather at: Embarcadero Park North, 400 Kettner Blvd, San Diego. Behind Manchester Hyatt (site of ALEC conference)
4:30 pm: rally at: Manchester Grand Hyatt
The most powerful, well-funded corporate special interest front group in America is coming to California this month. The mission of American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) is simple: shower the 1% with special privileges and advantages at the expense of everyone else. ALEC's agenda is an affront to progress. It’s an affront to basic rights. It’s an affront to democracy.
The goal of ALEC’s annual conference (July 21-24 in San Diego) is to put corporate special interests and right-wing legislators together to plot how to further undermine workers’ rights, environmental protections and basic fairness. Corporate lobbyists and multi-millionaires will have a chance to wine and dine these politicians, promise them fat contributions and a taste of the good life in exchange for supporting bills that keep paychecks low, corporate welfare high and restrict the rights of their political enemies.
For years ALEC has authored legislation across the nation to:
- Slash working people's wages and attack unions
- Gut retirement security for millions
- Devastate our environment
- Dismantle our healthcare system and deny reproductive health access for women
- Privatize our schools
- Increase the number of guns in our communities and bring ALEC authored “Stand Your Ground Laws” to even more states
- Criminalizing undocumented immigrants and US Citizens . One of ALEC's bills was used for Arizona's anti-immigrant SB1070 law.
- Corporatize prisons
- Limit voting rights
- and so much more
And they’re coming to San Diego because they want to establish a foothold right here in California. It’s time we stand together to tell ALEC “HELL NO!”
Join workers, community groups, with faith leaders and progressives to tell ALEC:
NOT HERE, NOT EVER!