The Coronavirus outbreak has us all on edge. As the crisis grows, California’s unions are responding to ensure workers are protected.
We’re working with the Newsom Administration to ensure workers have the information they need to protect themselves and their families. The first thing to note is that all California employees have the opportunity to earn paid sick days under California law. Unions fought hard for this law to ensure workers can take time off when illness strikes at home.
Support Services for Workers
- Summary Chart: Benefit for Workers Impacted by COVID-19
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) – FAQs on laws enforced by the California Labor Commissioner’s Office
- California’s paid sick days law and coronavirus
- Information on Disability Insurance (DI), Paid Family Leave (PFL), and Unemployment Insurance (UI).
- Filing a UI Claim? Here’s what to expect.
- Support Services for those who are Sick or Quarantined, Caregiving, or Dealing with Reduced Work Hours
- Filing for an Unemployment Insurance Claim for Wages and Hours reduced (Work Sharing Program)
- Legal Aid at Work COVID-19 Fact Sheet (FAQ is also available in Spanish and Chinese)
- California Worker Rights in the Time of COVID-19
- COVID-19 Wage Replacement Cheatsheet
- EDD Guidance for Unemployment Benefits Triggered by COVID-19
- EDD Rapid Response Powerpoint (Spanish Version Here)
- CAL/OSHA Infection Prevention for Agricultural Employers and Employees
- Additional Assistance Funds for Workers and Businesses.
- UCLA LOSH: Protecting Workers From COVID-19
Resources for Undocumented Workers
- Undocumented Workers in California COVID Resources
- Resources for Undocumented Immigrants and their Families During COVID-19
- Undocumented Workers’ Employment Rights
- COVID-19 Resources for Undocumented Californians
- Undocumented Workers Nationwide COVID Resources
Governor Newsom announced a new California COVID-19 website with resources, info, latest numbers, & public service announcement
- Governor Gavin Newsom Announces Major Financial Relief Package: 90-Day Mortgage Payment Relief During COVID-19 Crisis
- Governor Newsom Issues Executive Order to Stay Home Except for Essential Needs
- Governor Newsom Issues Executive Order to Suspend Standardized Testing for Students in Response to COVID-19 Outbreak
- Governor Newsom Takes Emergency Actions & Authorizes $150 Million in Funding to Protect Homeless Californians from COVID-19
- Governor Newsom Signs Executive Order to Allow Timely Delivery of Vital Goods During COVID-19 Outbreak
- Governor Newsom issued an executive order to protect ongoing safety net services for most vulnerable Californians during COVID-19 outbreak. Read the Governor’s response here
- Governor Newsom issued an executive order on the coronavirus that includes waiving the one-week waiting period for unemployment and disability insurance. Read the Governor’s entire response here.
- Governor Newsom Issues Executive Order to Protect Renters and Homeowners During COVID-19 Pandemic. Read the Governor’s response here.
- Unite Here and UFCW have come together to help workers find good jobs during this time of crisis. Apply Here
- UFCW local 324 Jobs in SoCal here
Coronavirus Stimulus Bill (CARES ACT)
Union Resources on COVID-19
California’s health care unions are on the front lines of the fight against COVID-19. Keep up-to-date with the latest information
- California Nurses Association.
- UNAC/UHCP Resources
- IFPTE Local 21 Resources
- SEIU 1021 Response Updates
- IBEW 1245 Resources
- IBEW 569 COVID-19 Resources
- SEIU 121 RN resources
- UFCW 5 Member FAQ COVID-19
- CFT Toolkit for Educators and Staff
- CTA Toolkit for Educators
- SAG-AFTRA Unemployment Insurance and COVID-19
- SEIU 521 Resources + Information + Updates
- AFM 47 Updates
- UTLA Resources
- California Faculty Association
- UC-AFT Resource Page
- Teamster Local 399 updates & resources
- AFSCME Council 57
- North America’s Building Trades Unions issued specific advice for construction industry employers to protect construction professionals from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19.
- And finally, the AFL-CIO is tracking the federal response. View all the federal resources compiled by the AFL-CIO here.
Central Labor Council Resources
- Los Angeles County Federation of Labor resources & information
- Contra Costa Labor Council Know Your Rights during COVID-19
- Central Coast Labor Council COVID-19 Outbreak Resources
- San Diego Labor Council COVID-19 Response
- Sacramento Labor Council COVID-19 Resources
- San Francisco Labor Council COVID-19 Resources
Gig Workers and Contractors
- The COVID-19 is wrecking havoc on gig workers who lack financial safety and basic protections. View all federal and state resources for gig workers here
- Los Angeles County (Bet Tzedek Legal Services): Dejar correo de voz a 323-939-0506, extension 415.
- Los Angeles County (Public Counsel): 213-385-2977
- Sacramento Area: 211
- Santa Clara County (Katherine & George Alexander Community Law Center): 866-870-7725
- San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties (Community Legal Services in East Palo Alto): 650-326-6440
- Bay Area: (Legal Aid at Work): 415-404-9093; (Centro Legal de la Raza): 510-437-1554
- San Francisco only: (La Raza Centro Legal): 415-575-3500
- San Bernardino and Riverside Counties; limited-capacity Statewide (Warehouse Workers Resource Center): 541-842-0964
- San Diego (Employment Rights Center): 619-521-1372
- Statewide (Legal Aid at Work): 866-864-8208
- Statewide (Asian Law Caucus): 415-896-1701
- Statewide (California Rural Legal Assistance)
COVID-19 Social Safety Net Resources
- Food assistance (benefitscal.org),
- Rent assistance (needhelppayingbills.com)
- Utility assistance (ca.gov)
- Medical assistance (ca.gov)
- Contra Costa and Solano Counties
- San Joaquin County
- San Joaquin and Stanislaus Counties
- Sonoma, Humboldt, Del Norte, Mendocino, and Lake counties
- Napa County
- Yolo County
- Sacramento County
- Yuba and Sutter Counties
- Butte, Glenn, Colusa, Plumas, Sierra and Tehama counties
- Silicon Valley
- Alameda County Community Food Bank
- San Francisco and Marin Counties
Search for more here: http://www.cafoodbanks.org/
COVID-19 Resources en Español
- UNAC/UHCP: Letter to California Hospital CEOs
- California Nurses/ National Nurses United: Tell Congress we demand nurses are protected
- UFCW: Tell Gov. Gavin Newsom to Take Action to Support Grocery and Pharmacy Store Workers
- Unite Here: Put workers first in any airline and airport bailout
- Unite Here: Pay laid off arena and stadium workers
- Unite Here Local 11: Dear Dodgers and Angels: Step up to the Plate for Stadium Workers!
- IATSE: Tell congress to support displaced entertainment workers
- UDWA: Protect IHSS providers and clients during COVID-19 crisis
- SEIU USWW: Protect and invest frontline airport workers
- Los Angeles Federation of Labor: Healthy LA Coalition
- OSHA standards protecting workers from COVID-19.
- The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
- CDC: Plan, Prepare and Respond to Coronavirus Disease
- Identifying Critical Infrastructure During COVID-19
- Social Service Information
Keeping working people safe through a health care crisis is a top priority for unions. If you need additional information or have questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll try to direct you to appropriate resources.