What is AB 5?
AB 5 (Gonzalez) codifies the Dynamex decision to expand workers’ rights. Misclassification of workers has been a driver of income inequality, declining union density, and diminishing worker power. Millions of workers misclassified as contractors could have employment status restored by this court decision. This CA Supreme Court decision was one of the most important in decades for workers with the potential to bring many workers into employee status, which offers more stability and security and the opportunity to organize. We will codify this decision with AB 5 and use it to rebuild the middle class.
- 5 Reasons the CA Legislature Must Say Yes on AB 5
- What’s the Real Story on Dynamex?
- Can Gig Workers Have Flexibility and Protections Afforded to Employees in AB 5? Absolutely
- NELP Report: Flexible Work Hours and Employee Status: The Truth About AB 5
- David Weil Op-ed: Call Uber and Lyft Drivers What They Are: Employees