This position reports to the director of organizing. The organizer will be responsible for a wide array of organizing activities including conducting and developing internal and external organizing campaigns; planning strategic campaigns; developing leaders and apprentice organizers; and providing support and guidance to the local union.
- Assist local union to develop appropriate new organizing targets and campaign plans, with goals, strategies, and resources needed to execute the plans
- Write and produce basic campaign leaflets and other materials
- Manage lists, Access database, assessments, charts and other campaign tools
- Encourage and participate in coalitions with other unions, CLCs, faith, racial and social justice groups
- Identify and develop new leaders and organizing committee members
- Conduct and coordinate home visits, phone calls, site visits and other 1:1 outreach to build membership, support leaders and further the goals of the campaign
- Provide education and training as requested
- Submit a detailed report each week to the director of organizing demonstrating activities
Job Qualifications and Requirements
- Demonstrated commitment to the labor movement and social justice
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Computer skills and proficiency with basic programs such as Access and Word
- Car, insurance and driver’s license required
- Although the position is primarily regionally based, there will be additional travel
- Willingness to work evenings, weekends and irregular hours
- At least 2 years organizing experience
- Ability to provide detailed campaign summaries and assessments
- Ability to establish and maintain credibility with diverse demographic groups, as well as, with professional, technical, administrative and service workers
To be considered for this position, please provide the following:
- A current resume reflecting qualifications for this position.
- Letter of application addressing how accomplishments in your career have prepared you to meet the challenges and opportunities facing Local 29.
Please email your resume and any materials electronically to this email address:
All inquiries and material submitted will be kept confidential.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
OPEIU 29 is committed to diversity and inclusion in our hiring practices. We are an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and interested in applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religions, and genders.